Sir has opened up about his loss of sight. The singer-songwriter spoke about the "distressing" experience in a newly-released interview and suggested that he's told himself to "just get on with it".
The musician, 78, announced last year that . He revealed in November that he months prior because of an infection and he said that his other eye was "not the greatest" either.
He's now shared an update, revealing that he can't see the TV or his two children Zachary, 14, and Elijah, 12, playing sports. Elton opened up in an interview with that was published today, with him saying that he hasn't been able to "see anything" since July last year.
READ MORE:
READ MORE:
Elton told journalist Will Hodgkinson: "I can see you, but I can't see TV, I can't read." He further commented: "I can't see my boys playing rugby and soccer, and it has been a very stressful time because I’m used to soaking it all up."
The Oscar winner said it's "distressing," before sharing: "You get emotional, but you have to get used to it because I'm lucky to have the life I have." He went on to praise his "wonderful" family and said he has some vision in his left eye.
Pointing to his left eye, he revealed that he can "still see something" out of it. Elton concluded by suggesting that in such a circumstance he's encouraged himself to "just get on with it".
Last year, Elton announced that he had been left with "limited vision" in one eye due to a "severe" eye infection. He shared the news with fans in a statement that was released through his account in September.
He said: "Over the summer, I've been dealing with a severe eye infection that has unfortunately left me with only limited vision in one eye. I am healing, but it's an extremely slow process and it will take some time before sight returns to the impacted eye."
The musician continued: "I am so grateful for the excellent team of doctors and nurses and my family, who have taken such good care of me over the last several weeks. I have been quietly spending the summer recuperating at home, and am feeling positive about the progress I have made in my healing and recovery thus far."
Elton later spoke about his eyesight on . He said in November: "I unfortunately lost my eyesight in my right eye in July because I had an infection in the south of France and it's been four months now since I haven't been able to see, and my left eye's not the greatest."
He went on to reveal at the time that he was unable to read lyrics. He said: "There's hope and encouragement that it will be okay, but it's ... I'm kind of stuck at the moment, because I can do something like [an interview], but going into the studio and recording, I don't know, because I can't see a lyric for a start."
The following month, he referenced his loss of sight whilst at the West End production of the musical The Devil Wears Prada. Elton - who created the music for the stage show - thanked his husband , 62, for being his "rock".
Thanking various people whilst on the stage at Dominion Theatre, Elton said in footage shared from a performance: "To my husband who's been my rock because I haven't been able to come to many of the previews because, as you know, I've lost my eyesight." He added: "So it's hard for me to see it but I love to hear it and it sounded good tonight, okay?"
Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on , , , , , and .
You may also like
BSF shoots Pakistani intruder crossing Jammu border
Manipur: Joint Operation by Assam Rifles leads to successful rescue of abducted individual
IPL 2025: Langer Confirms Mayank Yadav Bowling At '90-95 Percent'
LIVE India News updates on April 5: Kerala: ED likely to quiz Gokulam Gopalan again today
Cutlery item can repel bugs from your home this summer - no cleaning products needed