Next Story
Newszop

'Take them very seriously, but can't accept in its current form': Russia on US-led Ukraine ceasefire talks

Send Push
Russia acknowledged taking US proposals for a ceasefire in Ukraine "very seriously" but insisted that it cannot accept them in their current form. Deputy foreign minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Tuesday that while Moscow is considering the American models and solutions, but claimed that they fail to address Russia’s core concerns about the root causes of the conflict.

He argued that the proposals omit crucial elements that would ensure a long-term resolution and stressed that these issues must be addressed before any agreement can be reached.

“As far as we can see, there is no place in them today for our main demand, namely to solve the problems related to the root causes of this conflict. It is completely absent, and that must be overcome,” Ryabkov said.

The remarks follow Russian President Vladimir Putin’s rejection of a US-backed ceasefire proposal last month. Despite initial hopes of progress, the Kremlin appears unwilling to accept conditions that do not align with its strategic goals. The rejection also comes as US President Donald Trump has escalated his rhetoric, expressing frustration with Putin’s stance and suggesting that additional sanctions could be imposed on nations that continue to buy Russian oil.

Trump, speaking to reporters at the White House on Monday, said he expects Putin to honour his commitments towards a peace deal. While indicating some optimism, he made it clear that he would monitor Russia’s actions closely. He also criticised both Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, accusing them of stalling negotiations and complicating efforts to end the war.

Over the weekend, Trump voiced strong discontent with Putin’s dismissal of Zelenskyy as a credible negotiator, calling the Russian leader’s comments unacceptable. He also hinted at economic measures against Russia, including tariffs on oil exports, should Moscow refuse to engage in meaningful talks. Additionally, he warned Ukraine of “big problems” if Zelenskyy backed away from an agreement involving mineral rights for the US.

The Kremlin, meanwhile, stated on Monday that Putin remains open to dialogue with Trump but acknowledged that no formal talks have been scheduled. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov described the negotiations as a “drawn-out process” and noted that while efforts are ongoing, significant hurdles remain.

On the battlefield, both Russia and Ukraine continue their military operations. Ukrainian forces reported heavy Russian attacks across multiple regions, including missile and drone strikes targeting Kharkiv. Ukraine’s air force confirmed that Russia launched more than 100 drones and missiles over the weekend, with some successfully intercepted.
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now